Bishop Edward george Lynch Cotton
Rev. Samuel Thomas Pettigrew
Bishop Cotton Boys’ School had its genesis in the vision of Bishop Edward George Lynch Cotton of Calcutta. His idea was to set up schools to educate European and Eurasian children of limited means. The idea received support from the Viceroy, Lord Canning. The school in Bangalore became a reality in the hands of Rev. Samuel Thomas Pettigrew, Chaplain of St. Mark’s Church. Bishop Cotton School opened its doors in a humble house on High Grounds on the 19th of April, 1865, with Mr. G. Reynolds as its first Headmaster.
The school moved to its present location in 1871. The present premises at St. Mark’s Road in the heart of Bangalore was acquired in 1871 on credit from one Mr. Puttman for the sum of Rs. 47,500/-. It took four years to settle the account!
Today, 155 years later, Cottons has 7,000+ students, well-qualified faculty and excellent facilities for day and residential students, well-equipped science and computer labs, a large library and four playgrounds, and a well-rounded curriculum to produce young men who can live their dreams.
A reputation of excellence
Bishop Cotton Boys’ School has won the accolade of the “Eton of the East”, and stands tall as Bangalore’s leading school, one of India’s three top-ranking schools, and the No: 1 among all metro schools in India.
Over 155 years, students of the school have gone on to shine in different walks of life, all over India and the world.